Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Pedestrian accidents remain a serious issue in Los Angeles: in 2019, pedestrian and cyclist fatalities accounted for more than 60 percent of all motor vehicle deaths. Pedestrians are among the most vulnerable groups of commuters on Los Angeles’ roads and sidewalks – any car accident involving a pedestrian often involves serious, life-threatening injuries.
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, please contact a Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney at The Ryan Law Group today. We can help you pursue any liable parties for the compensation you deserve to make a full recovery from your injuries.
Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Resources
- Who is Liable in Pedestrian Accidents?
- Pedestrian Rights in California
- What Damages Can I Recover?
- What to Do After a Pedestrian Accident
Why Hire The Ryan Law Group for Your Pedestrian Accident Case?
The Ryan Law Group is committed to providing exceptional legal representation to all injured accident victims of Los Angeles County and all Southern California:
- We have extensive experience successfully representing victims of pedestrian accidents throughout Los Angeles and Orange Counties.
- We have a proven record of success, securing several multi-million-dollar verdicts for injured victims throughout Southern California. This includes one of the largest medical malpractice settlements in Orange County history.
- We are aggressive in our litigation, preparing every case as if it will go to trial. This allows us to prepare for any and all developments in a case.
- Our pedestrian accident lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis – there are no upfront costs, and we don’t charge for legal expenses throughout the case.
We want to help you receive the compensation you deserve in this difficult time.
How Can a Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help?
A pedestrian accident attorney in Los Angeles can help someone figure out payment for their medical bills, identify who was at fault for the accident, and determine the monetary amount the accident caused. He or she can also pursue the parties responsible to receive a settlement for the pedestrian to cover their damages. If the responsible party is unwilling to work with the injured pedestrian on a solution a lawyer can also file a lawsuit to have a judge or jury force a judgment to pay for damages.
Ultimately, a Los Angeles injury lawyer experienced in pedestrian accidents gives support and help to an injured accident victim when he needs it the most.
Pedestrian Rights in California
It is important to understand your rights as a pedestrian in California. That way, you can protect them in a personal injury lawsuit – or prevent an accident from occurring in the first place. Your rights as a pedestrian come from California’s pedestrian laws. Highlights of these laws include:
- At crosswalks, all drivers must yield the right-of-way to crossing pedestrians. A driver must stop if the pedestrian is approaching his or her side of the lane.
- No pedestrian may step off of a curb – even with the right-of-way – if it is not safe to do so, meaning if a car is approaching too quickly to reasonably stop.
- Pedestrians do not automatically have the right-of-way at intersections with electronic traffic control devices. Pedestrians must wait for the Cross or Walk signal in these locations.
Following state and local pedestrian laws can help you avoid an accident. These laws are in place for your safety. If you break one of these rules, you may be partially responsible for an accident. If a driver breaks the law or behaves carelessly, however, the driver will be responsible. If you have any questions about your rights as a pedestrian in California and how they can impact a pedestrian accident case, speak with a pedestrian accident attorney in Los Angeles.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Finding out who is legally responsible for your pedestrian accident takes identifying the cause of the crash. Pinpointing what caused the accident will help you understand who had the power to prevent the collision. This will be the person or party who has to pay for your medical bills and other losses. A pedestrian accident lawyer can investigate your accident to name its cause.
Almost all car accidents involving a pedestrian in California are preventable. Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Los Angeles include:
- Distracted driving
- Texting and cell phone use behind the wheel
- Driving while intoxicated
- Speeding, especially in school zones and residential areas
- Drowsy driving
- Running red lights
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Breaking other traffic laws
Driver error is the number one cause of pedestrian accidents in California. If a careless or reckless driver strikes a pedestrian, he or she will have to pay for damages through the driver’s auto insurance policy. If something else caused or contributed to the accident, you may also have grounds to hold another party responsible. If a roadway defect is to blame, for example, you may have a case against the government.
Who Is Liable for Pedestrian Accidents?
Determining liability in an accident is the first step toward pursuing compensation for your damages. In a pedestrian accident, it is most commonly the person who hit the pedestrian that is liable for any injuries. This is especially true in California, where pedestrians nearly always have right of way.
However, in certain circumstances a pedestrian may also share liability with the person/vehicle who injured them – and this can impact compensation. California operates under pure comparative rules of negligence, which means that each party involved in an accident is responsible for their own percentage of fault. Therefore, when pursuing compensation, your damages may be reduced by your own percentage of fault.
At The Ryan Law Group, our Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorneys comprehensively investigate each pedestrian accident case with industry experts to definitely determine liability. By getting a clear picture of the events that transpired, we can then pursue the maximum possible compensation for your needs.
What To Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Los Angeles
If you get into a pedestrian accident in LA, you are most likely feeling stressed and overwhelmed. There are certain steps you need to take, however, for the best chance of having a successful insurance claim. If possible, complete the following actions immediately after a pedestrian accident:
- Stay where you are and check for injuries.
- Do not admit fault.
- Call the police.
- Exchange information with the driver of the vehicle.
- Take photographs of the scene of the accident.
- Get the names and phone numbers of any eyewitnesses.
- Get professional medical attention.
- Obtain copies of your police report and medical records.
- Call the driver’s insurance company to file a claim.
- Contact an attorney for assistance with the legal process.
If you cannot complete these steps, do not worry. A Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyer from The Ryan Law Group can take care of the legal process from start to finish on your behalf. Our attorneys can determine the correct defendant(s), help you gather evidence, request copies of documents and medical records, and perform any other tasks your injury claim requires.
Compensation for Pedestrian Accident Victims in California
After an accident, injured pedestrians will often seek medical attention. Depending on the severity of the incident, medical bills can be very expensive. It is the duty of the at fault party to cover these expenses. This payment is often paid out by the insurance company for the at fault party. Psychological medical issues can also occur after an accident and the long-term costs associated with them must also be taken into account.
Additional costs will result when considering any loss of earnings the injured party is losing out on. In situations where the injury affects their ability to perform a job they did before the accident, this loss of earnings can reflect the lifetime loss of earning specific to this lost ability. In the event that a wrongful death occurred because of the accident and there were family members who relied on the deceased for their well-being, the loss of earnings can be assumed to be that person’s lifetime earnings they will no longer be able to earn.
What Is the Statute of Limitations on Pedestrian Accidents in California?
Do not wait too long to seek financial compensation after a pedestrian accident. In California, a law called the statute of limitations places a time limit on your ability to bring a claim. In California, you have no more than two years from the date your accident took place to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Although there are some exceptions to the rule, typically, if you fail to file within two years, the court will refuse to hear your case – meaning your ability to recover will be lost. This is why it is important to speak to an pedestrian accident attorney as soon as possible.
Contact a Pedestrian Accident Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident, please contact us immediately to discuss your case. Our Los Angeles pedestrian accident lawyers can help you pursue the compensation necessary to make a full recovery, and offer our lending hand in a time of need.